10 Percent Bigger

Sunday, February 01, 2009

Lost pups

We lost our big boy Saturday the 24th. The wife and I had date night. Dinner and a movie. When we got home, we called the pups in, our little dalmatian ran up, but Jack our Ridgeback didn't come right away. That isn't unusual, he's our old man, and sometimes it takes him some time to get up the stairs. She called him again, but he still didn't come. When she walked out on the deck, she saw he was struggling up the stairs, and when he saw her he collapsed. He slid down a couple steps unable to support himself. She screamed and called me to help. I ran out and grabbed him, carrying him down the rest of the stairs. I laid him on the deck, and listened for a heart beat. It was weak and he was struggling to breathe. I started giving him supplemental breathing through his nose, but he wasn't responding. We sat and held him while he passed.

It's tough. Paloma our dalmatian isn't eating. They spent every day of the last 12 years together, and she keeps walking around looking for him. I should have let her sniff him before loading him up, but wasn't thinking clearly. I don't know if I will get another dog after she is gone. It hurts too much when we lose them.

RIP buddy. Keep watch over Memo & the rest of the pack. You are in charge until we get there.

Labels: ,

6 Comments:

Blogger Home on the Range said...

I am so sorry for that loss to your family. They are family in every way to me as well.

Big hug.
B.

8:03 AM  
Blogger 10% said...

Thanks Brigid,

It's tough losing a pup, but at least we got to be there at the end.

10:34 AM  
Blogger SpeakerTweaker said...

Aw, man. I'm so sorry.

[sad]



tweaker

5:58 PM  
Blogger Bob G. said...

I've had several four-footed pals die in my arms...not something I like to think on, that's for sure.

Our one beagle that we had for 16 years was the worst for me when she passed.
But there is ALWAYS "The Rainbow Bridge" waiting when it's MY time.

My condolences.

B.G.

9:57 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

So long, velvet ears. You were the BEST. Ever.

3:24 PM  
Blogger Karla (ThreadBndr) said...

Over here via your comments on Murphy's blog. So sorry to hear about your beautiful dog. It's so hard and their days are never long enough.

Give yourself time to grieve, but hold your heart open for another companion. When Dutch the Demon Dog died, I swore I'd never own another dog, but Molly wormed her way into my heart anyhow.

8:44 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home