10 Percent Bigger

Wednesday, February 13, 2008

Scrreeech! Bang ... Bang!

Alternate title:

My trucks rear bumper > 1987 Buick Centuries front end.

So, there I was on Loop 360, light was green, but traffic was a bit backed up. I stopped, the Buick behind me stopped fairly close, but I thought to myself "Self that F150 is coming pretty fast." Screech, bang into the Buick, which then launched itself into my truck.

We pull off the road, and the F150 is a young guy. He is fine, but sputtering cause of the airbags. Lady in the Buick is actually a Little Old Lady and she is scared. Her Buick just got crunched between two trucks, and she is a little dazed. Young guy and I open her door, but ask her to stay in the car as she said her neck hurt. I call 911 (I was the most coherent of the three - nobody else stopped), I answer a couple questions, and they dispatch a couple fire trucks and EMS.

Fire sweeps everything up (no leaking fluids), she talks to EMS for awhile but refuses treatment. Police arrive, we fill out the correct forms. They help the old lady, as she is a bit confused. Turns out she is 91, and as she says "I've been driving since I was 12, and this is the first time I've had an accident. I don't know what to do." Everyone is cool, nobody is angry.

The young guy is apologizing, and I notice he has burns on his hands from the airbag. I ask if he is ok, when he says "Yeah, I been hit by so many bombs while I was in Iraq this is nothing. I'm just sorry you guys messed up your cars."

All in all, everyone was OK, and everyone drove off. It's interesting the things you learn about people on the side of the road. Everyone shared a little bit. Heck, even the cop volunteered that he was back on the streets after something like 15 years with SWAT & Counter terrorism.

Truck needs a new bumper, but his insurance will pay for it. I'm betting they total out the Buick, probably hose the old lady. Hope she keeps driving though. She was a tough one. Only time she complained was when she realized her icecream was melting.

It has been suggested that I get a bumper like this:



That might be a bit much, but we shall see.

Labels: , ,

1 Comments:

Blogger nuttnbunny said...

That's the best car crash story I've ever read. And by best, I mean Best.

Glad everyone was OK.

xoxo

12:30 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home