10 Percent Bigger

Wednesday, March 19, 2008

Quick update

BJJ 3 times a week combined with cardio and kettlebells has my weight slightly below the 250 mark. This is the lightest I have been in probably 12 years, which will hopefully be beneficial as I have NAGA coming up in Dallas on May 3rd. I will be competing in both Gi & no-Gi, so it should be fun.

I'm heading to Vegas for Datacenter World on April 1st. This is a quick trip (coming back on the 2nd), so I won't be able to do any training while I am there. If I was staying one night longer, I was going to try and hit Randy Couture's gym ($25 mat fee for all day public training - not bad).

Knees are a bit sore, as we worked heelhooks, toe holds, kneebars, regular foot locks (and the escapes for each) on Monday. For a warmup we started takedowns - single leg, double leg, ankle picks, arm drags, and then a little Judo (I mainly used Osoto Gari). Starting slowly to get moving then upping the intensity as we got warm. A couple weeks ago, I added a multivitamin that includes Glucosamine & Chondroiten, and it makes a huge difference. It was easier to make the penetrating step for the double leg, and my knees didn't scream like the normally do (sore is good, screaming joints that can barely support you is bad).

Labels: , , ,

2 Comments:

Blogger nuttnbunny said...

I'm so excited to see that Glucosamine & Chondroiten in action at the May tournament!

7:55 PM  
Blogger J.R.Shirley said...

I love Osoto Gari. I usually accompany it with a boshiken jab to the neck to drive the head back. Are you using your sweeping to kick their support leg forcefully out, or more placing your leg in place?

Anyway, would've loved to have been there. I'm kinda fat right now, but it's still easy for me to find people much larger than me.

10:01 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home