10 Percent Bigger

Sunday, August 30, 2009

An interesting conversation

Thursday, after torturing me for a bit, my Crossfit Coach and I started talking about Martial Arts. It crossed over into religion a bit, but my general idea was that Martial Arts are more then just tying a belt around my waist and spending time in the Dojo. Running, lifting, sparring, shooting, nutrition, these are all parts of a Martial Life.

I've mentioned it before, but the main reason I work out, is to attempt to achieve a level of fitness that will make me better at Brazilian Jiu Jitsu. It does that, my strength and flexibility is steadily increasing, and my endurance is going up as well. It also helps all of my martial activities. Let's face it, being able to run 1/8th of a mile (or more) without falling over helps breathing control and heart rate, which is important in firearms competition, hunting, and even if the S hits the proverbial fan. How many times have you seen someone at the range who gets winded walking to the 100yard line to change targets? That person might be the best shot in the world, but how good a shot will they be when their heart rate is 180+ and they are desperately trying to suck in Oxygen to keep from passing out?

I'm not saying I'm going to be hitting any Ironman competitions anytime soon, but I will run a 5k this year. Just some food for thought.

Labels: , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home