10 Percent Bigger

Wednesday, August 20, 2008

Freaking out the norms

A couple weeks ago I went to a Tattoo Festival. This was my first Tattoo festival, so I didn't really know what to expect. All in all I can say it was interesting. The lighting was challenging, so not every picture worked, but I did get a couple cool shots.

While walking through, I started flipping through one of the artists flash, just to get an idea of what they prefer, and if it would be worth while to hang out and take some pictures. Apparently I looked a little too normal, as this older guy (late 60s or so) came over and started talking to me. He was covered in old ink on his arms, and had a fresh one on his leg, and generally was a little intimidating at first. Fairly gruffly, he started asking me questions. I explained I was interested in taking some pictures of artists working, and had been thinking about some new ink. Of course, he looked at the flash book I was checking out, and it was all low quality flowers and tribal stuff. Awwwkwaard. Anyway, I explained I was looking for an artist to do some Japanese work (in prep for my Foo Dogs) and then showed him my right shoulder. He looked at me thoughtfully for a second and said "but you look so normal!". I responded with "I'm just here freaking out the norms." He thought that was hilarious.

I guess stereotypes run both ways.

Labels: , , ,

3 Comments:

Blogger Home on the Range said...

Oh yes, yes they do. That would have been a moment to witness. ha!

11:13 AM  
Blogger none said...

I've hung out with a couple of artists and watched them work. It's pretty cool. Consumate professionals in every way.

I don't find them weird at all.

However I can see how they could be suspiscios of a "norm" wanting to spy on them ;D

12:12 PM  
Blogger nuttnbunny said...

Runs in the family. :-)

12:51 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home